Evidence of the Holy Spirit
"In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory." (Ephesians 1:13-14 ESV)
"For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." (Romans 8:14 ESV)
The Holy Spirit is the seal of our New Covenant relationship with Christ (Jer 31; Ezek 36-37; Eph 1:13). The Christian life -- of fellowship with God, of power, of the pursuit of holiness -- is a life in the Spirit. (Rom 8)
How do I know when the Holy Spirit is at work in me? How do I identify his supernatural work in distinction from my own efforts at living the Christian life? What follows is a list of ten evidences of the work of the Holy Spirit in us...
1) When we experience conviction of sin, not mere guilt and desire to escape punishment, but an awareness of our sin against God and of our need for the forgiveness and reconciliation found only in Christ – this is the work of the Holy Spirit. (John 16:8-11)
2) When Jesus Christ becomes attractive to us, and we begin to see him as glorious, powerful, merciful, and gracious – this is the work of the Spirit. (John 16:14; 1 Cor 1:23-24)
3) When God’s love is so understood and felt in the heart that we are moved to call out to God as our Father – this is the work of the Holy Spirit. (Rom 5:5; Gal 4:6)
4) When we joyfully believe and confess that Jesus is Lord – this is the work of the Holy Spirit. (1 Cor 12:3; 1 John 4:2-3)
5) When we have felt the truthfulness of the gospel concerning Jesus Christ and inwardly experience the authority and goodness of God’s word – this is the work of the Holy Spirit. (Eph 1:13; 1 Thess 1:5; 2:13)
6) When we have freedom, even boldness, to speak of Christ to others – this is the work of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 1:8; 4:31).
7) When we are receiving insight and understanding into God’s word, so that we are sensing its truth, power, and application to us – this is the work of the Holy Spirit. (1 Cor 2:12; Eph 1:17-18; 1 John 2:27; 4:6)
8) When we turn away from sin and fleshly desires, being led and empowered to manifest God’s holy character in our lives – this is the work of the Holy Spirit. (Rom 8:1-17; Gal 5:16-23)
9) When we truly desire to sing God’s praises and join with believers in corporate worship – this is the work of the Holy Spirit. (Eph 5:18-20)
10) When our service to others brings God’s blessing to the body of Christ, and gifts that he has given us work supernaturally to build up others – this is the work of the Holy Spirit. (1 Cor 12:4-11)
"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" (Luke 11:13 ESV)